Sam is masterful at helping clients discover their own in-the-moment behavior and to establish clear visions of where and how they want to be. He is both pragmatic and visionary…grounded in the practicalities of science and business (earning a degree in biology and an MBA) and skilled in the art of observation and meaningful reflection, as a poet and photographer.
For the last 30 years, Sam has worked with individuals, small teams, and employee groups as large as 1200. Whether he is supervising other coaches, facilitating resolution of group to group conflict, or helping executives de-role and/or re-role as a result of organizational change, Sam’s calm and reassuring demeanor, deep listening, and wise interventions create environments in which people have the conversations that enable long-lasting shifts in perspectives and behaviors. He thrives on helping create and sustain honest organizations. Clients include senior executives at Boeing, the American Academy of Family Physicians, Pacific Northwest National Labs, Washington State Dept. of Health/State Cabinet, Port Blakely Companies, and Battelle Energy Alliance.
An avid learner, Sam holds an accredited diploma in Coaching Supervision and is a Master Certified Coach, in addition to his numerous certifications in a variety of tools and assessments. As a skilled mentor and facilitator, Sam taught coaching at the Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara, and currently teaches Coaching Supervision at the Coaching Supervision Academy in the UK, the US, and France (speaking French fluently).
Education & Experience
- Diploma from the Coaching Supervision Academy, London, England, 2010; teaching their diploma course in the U.S. and in France since 2012.
- Keynotes & bilingual presentations (English and French), including presentations at three International Coach Federation conferences France, 2015 – 2017.
- Master Certified Coach from the International Coach Federation (ICF), 2004.
- President, Puget Sound Coaches Association, local ICF chapter.
- Coach specific training at the Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara, 2001, where he also taught coaching for six years.
- EQ in Action Certified Assessment qualification for emotional intelligence coaching.
- M.B.A. from California State University-East Bay, where he researched performance evaluation, 1977.
- Sam has been described as having a poet’s soul and, in 2006, he published his first book of poetry, Fully Human.
- He is also an accomplished photography, often supporting his coaching, supervision, and keynote talks with imagery and photos.
- Sam lives in Edmonds, WA and travels often to France and England.